When Patrick Joseph (PJ) Walls set out in construction in 1925 he might not have expected that almost ten decades later the business would have grown into one of Ireland’s leading building contractors and development companies. Blessed with entrepreneurial flair and an innate ability to lead PJ was also able to recognise that to stand still was to move backwards. Accordingly, having started out in partnership with his brothers the growth of the business over the following years led him to incorporate the Company in 1949.
The following three decades saw the name PJ Walls Limited become synonymous with the successful completion of a number of landmark civil engineering projects in the country, including the road-building, mining and airport infrastructure sectors.
The management and engineering skills built up during these years enabled the Company to expand into building and construction and as a result during the 1970’s and 1980’s the Company significantly increased its market share in the Irish building contracting sector, while maintaining its civil engineering operations. Furthermore, an opportunity to invest in the expanding UK construction sector was also taken, through its acquisition of its English based subsidiary, Neilcott Construction.
As the new millennium approached in tandem with continuing to grow its building contracting business the Company recognised the opportunities that existed in development, initially in the form of joint venture partnerships and later as a developer in its own right. This led to the formation of the Walls Developments and the opening of our Group Headquarters at our Northern Cross development in 2000.
Our rebranding in 2007 assists in portraying the Walls Group as one of Ireland’s leading construction and property development companies, offering a diverse pool of experienced professionals, supported by comprehensive resources and the financial strength to handle even the largest projects.
We believe that PJ would have been proud.